Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sudan

A week from today, Matt and I will be heading out for 12 days of teaching, loving on and learning from the people of south Sudan. Our church, The Village Church, has become a partner in spreading the gospel in Sudan with a local church there. We will spend our time encouraging and refreshing the saints. Matt will be teaching the pastors theology and pastoral care. My dear friend Dawntoya and I will be teaching a women's conference on biblical womanhood and visiting a nearby orphanage.

On a more personal note, just before Matt's surgery in December last year, we received a humbling picture of the church in Sudan literally on their knees interceding on his behalf. If we can offer anything to these sweet brothers and sisters, it will not compare to what they have already given us! We are grateful and I can't wait to express my gratitude personally to them.

I share this news with you for two reasons: (1) that you would commit to pray for us before and during our trip (September 22 through October 3) and (2) if the Holy Spirit leads, that you would contribute financially to our team. There are ten of us making the trip. One of our team members is recording artist LeCrae. He has posted a link to make financial contributions through the web. If you feel led, please follow this link and scroll down to the bottom of the blog entry (which I highly recommend reading!) until you see "DONATE HERE". Remember that no matter what you are able to contribute (constant prayers to $1 to $1000), each "gift" will be equally accepted joyfully and gratefully.

Thank you in advance!

12 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so excited for you about this trip. I'll be praying!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you get to be a part of this trip. I have already started to cover all of you in prayer. I know that the battle is fierce, so I will not stop laboring on behalf of this sweet team. Thank you for being willing to go to that land that my heart dwells and loving on the people with whom my heart longs to be.

Marc and Charity said...

That is very cool. Praying as you refresh!! We serve in the UK so it's always good to have some refreshing. :) We were refreshed last year by David Platt and sweet wife Heather, pure awesomeness.

Prudy said...

Praying as you go and minister.

Amy said...

My kids and I have a Prayer List that we update each day during Bible Time on our homeschool days. We will put you and your team on it. I remember seeing that photo... it was so touching. What an honor that you get to go and touch those people's lives and that they get to see the answer to their prayers in person.

Anna said...

What an amazing opportunity. You definitely don't know me, but my husband and I have been praying for your family during Matt's cancer journey, and I came across your blog recently. I'm excited to see what God does through this trip. Blessings!

elizabeth seay said...

praying for you guys!

Amy said...

That's so great that y'all are heading to be with our brothers and sisters in Sudan. What a blessing it is to go there! I went to Mundri/Lui in March with a medical team from The Church at Brook HIlls. And am heading back next month for 17 days- half with another medical team from Brook Hills, and the other with a ministry called NeverThirst (neverthirstwater.org). It was a changing point in my life as I feel the Lord leading me to go to His people in Sudan full time. May He bless y'all and keep y'all safe as you go. And may our Heavenly Father be glorified in all that you do!

(BTW I found your blog from JK and Alison Caby's blog...can't wait to read more about the trip when you get back.)

cal+claire said...

We'll be praying for your trip!

Anonymous said...

Praying for all involved (the team going and the people of Sudan). Can't wait to hear what the Lord did through (and in) you all.

Blessings,
Eposi

P.S. So cool to see that LeCrae is going. Love how Christ-centered rap artist like him and Trip Lee are!

ypastorswives said...

We will definitely keep you in our prayers. My husband and I had the pleasure of saying hello to Lacrea at Night of Joy here in Orlando. Lacrea may remember a guy in a black car saying "I love you man." as we passed by him at the Polynesian Resort. That was my youth pastor husband. lol. Lacrae was nice and said "thanks" Afterwards, my husband asked me if I thought that was weird. I said no. haha. Lacrea seemed like a great guy! A lot of our youth group looks up to him. Praying for the people of Sudan.

Beth said...

Praying for you as you travel. The podcasts from your church have ministered to me during a very dark time of betrayal (the past 3 years) and I have just started attending an Acts 29 church in my area. Thank you for being a compassionate light.